Cub Scout Family Extravaganza: July 5-7 at Woodfield Scout Preservation
This is an excellent opportunity for you and your family to spend a special weekend camp out together and experience outdoor activities that Scouting provides. Share summer fun with other families as we celebrate our declaration of independence anniversary. Activities will be provided to encourage parent/youth participation. Staff will be present to help guide you through the activities and celebration of the weekend.
2019 Summer Cub Scout Twilight Camp
Session 1: June 20 – June 23 • Session 2: June 27 – June 30 • Session 3: July 11 – 14
IMAGINE…a great outdoor adventure in the woods, creating lasting memories with friends and participating in a Cub Scout Program full of FUN! We have what you want at Woodfield Cub Resident Camp (overnight) in Asheboro, North Carolina. You will have the opportunity to:
- Go swimming in our pool, boat in our lake, and experience our 25 ft slip ‘n slide
- Take our STEM challenge or geocache in the woods
- Take part in shooting sports, campfires, scout-crafts, hiking through our nature trails
Register with your Pack, or if your Pack is not going to camp this summer parents can register their scout(s) and a responsible adult over the age of 21 to attend camp as Provisional campers.
Old North State Council announces new staff positions for Jonathan Clapp and Kristina Edmondson!
Effective July 1, 2019, employees Jonathan Clapp and Kristina Edmondson will have new positions to better serve local Scouting. Jonathan will be the Senior District Executive in Cherokee District, where he will support Scouting volunteers and community partners serving 600+ youth and 40+ Scouting units in Caswell, Person, and Rockingham counties. Kristina will be the Council Registrar and Assistant Office Manager, replacing Tina Carroll who accepted a promotion to Blue Ridge Mountains Council, BSA to be near her family in Roanoke, Virginia.
You can read more below on the backgrounds of Jonathan and Kristina, including their valuable experience in prior roles within Council operations.
Get to know Jonathan Clapp:
- He is a native of Greensboro and began his employment with Old North State Council in 2012
- Over the past seven years, Jonathan has served in multiple positions including Guilford District Executive, Venturing and Exploring Executive, and Exploring and Learning for Life Executive
- He is the staff advisor to the Council’s STEM programming, Advancement Committee, Winterplace Scouts on Skis, Camp Cards sale, STEM Merit Badge College, and Aviation Merit Badge College
- He has also assisted with many District and Council program functions, including serving five years at the Cub Scout Resident Summer Camp Director at Woodfield Scout Preservation in Asheboro
- He is a graduate of Catawba College in Salisbury, NC with a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management
Jonathan is excited to work with the volunteers in Cherokee District and serve local Scouting families!
Get to know Kristina Edmondson:
- She is a native of Shelby, NC and moved to Greensboro in 2013
- She began her employment with Old North State Council in 2014
- Over the past five years, Kristina has served in multiple positions including Fundraising/Accounting Assistant and Program/Camp Events Specialist
- She has served on the Council planning team for the annual Eagle Scout and Volunteer Recognition Banquet, managed year-round camping requests at Council properties, and supported Summer Camp operations.
- She is a graduate of Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina with Bachelor’s degrees in Criminal Justice and Psychology.
Kristina is sad to see Tina Carroll depart our team but is excited for the opportunity to serve local Scouting volunteers and families as Registrar and Assistant Office Manager!
YouTube-Focused Contest for Scouts BSA Members!
BSA introduced a new contest to encourage Scouts BSA members to share the fun of Scouting in videos on YouTube.
Did you know that you can support Scouting while shopping on Amazon at no extra cost?
The Old North State Council is partnered with Amazon Smile to raise funds for Scouting in our Council area. Thanks to those that currently participate! To date, AmazonSmile has donated over $1000 to Old North State Council. When making purchases on Amazon, log on to smile.amazon.com and choose the Old North State Council as your charity of choice.
Donate to Scouting Today!
To continue to deliver life-changing programs to more than 8,600 Scouting youth in the Triad, we need valued investors like you. If you haven’t had an opportunity to invest in “Friends of Scouting” this year at your Pack, Troop, Crew, or Sea Scouts meeting, please consider a financial investment in local Scouting. Thank you for your kind consideration!
Interested in going to Cherokee Scout Reservation this summer? There are still openings in week 3 (June 30 – July 6) and week 6 (July 21-27)
Contact Camp Director, Bud Harrelson at 336 694-6440
2020 Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, New Mexico
Philmont Scout Ranch is a bustling center for high adventure and training. Its camps provide an unforgettable adventure in the high country along hundreds of miles of rugged, rocky trails.
Visit the Philmont Scout Ranch website here.
Philmont 2020 The Old North State Council has secured spots for 2020 for 3 Crews (27 youth and 9 adults). The contingency dates are June 28 to July 10, 2020. A $200.00 non-refundable deposit(we will refund the $200 if you are not selected to attend) is required along with the official application form.
Philmont Requirements: Must be registered, youth must be 14 years of age by January 1st of the year attending or completed the 8th grade and be at least 13 prior to participation. ONSC requires minimum of First Class Scout or Venturers with corresponding skill level.
Calendar of Events
- Cub Resident Camp Session 1: 6/20-23
- Scouts BSA Summer Camp Week 2: 6/23-29
- Guilford Cub Twilight Camp: 6/25-27
- Cub Resident Camp Session 2: 6/27-30
- Scouts BSA Summer Camp Week 3: 6/30- 7/6
- Council Office closed for Independence Day: 7/4-5
- Summer Family Extravaganza: 7/5-7
- Scouts BSA Summer Camp Week 4: 7/7-13
- Cub Resident Camp Session 3: 7/11-14
- Scouts BSA Summer Camp Week 5: 7/14-20
- Council Commissioners Meeting: 7/17
- Council Popcorn Kickoff: 7/20
- Scouts BSA Summer Camp Week 6: 7/21-27
- World Jamboree Day Trip: 7/27
- NC Hunter Education: 8/3
- Scout Leader Specific & Youth Protection: 8/3
- Cub Scout Fun Day: 8/10
- Whitney M Young Luncheon: 8/21 10:30 AM – 1 PM
Full Calendar & District Calendars
(Includes all dist. events & meeting dates)
Serving High Point, Thomasville, Jamestown, Wallburg, Archdale and Trinity
Parents and volunteers, come to the Akela District Roundtable. The Roundtable is held the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7 PM to 8 PM at Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church located at 1225 Chestnut Drive, High Point, NC 27262. This is a great time to exchange ideas and learn about what is going on in the Akela District.
Join their facebook group: Akela District Roundtable
Akela Calendar (Select Akela in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page)
Alamance District Serving Burlington, Alamance Co., Haw River, Saxapahaw, Snow Camp, Mebane, Graham, Elon
Alamance Roundtable is held the 2nd Thursday of each month from 7 – 8:30 PM at Shiloh Presbyterian Church, located at 2638 Grand Oaks Blvd., Burlington
Alamance Calendar (Select Alamance in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page)
- 2019 Alamance Merit Badge College announcement coming soon
Serving Reidsville, Eden, Ruffin, Madison, Mayodan, Stoneville, Wentworth, Roxboro, and Yanceyville
Parents and volunteers, come to the Cherokee District Roundtable. The Roundtable is held the 1st Thursday of each month at 7 PM at Cherokee Scout Reservation located at 3269 Boy Scout Camp Road, Yanceyville, NC 27379. This is a great time to exchange ideas and learn about what is going on in the Cherokee District.
Cherokee Calendar (Select Cherokee in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page)
Serving Brown Summit, Colfax, Oak Ridge, Stokesdale, Summerfield, Gibsonville, Julian, Pleasant Garden, and all of Eastern Guilford County and Greensboro
Parents and volunteers, come to the Guilford District Roundtable. The Roundtable is held the 2nd Thursday of each month at Old North State Council Service Center located at 1405 Westover Terrace Greensboro 27408. This is a great time to exchange ideas and learn about what is going on in the Guilford District.
Guilford Calendar (Select Guilford in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page) Join their facebook group: Guilford District – BSA
Has your child bridged to a Troop or aged out this year? Are you wondering, what now? Consider Commissioner service! We have flexible volunteer positions available. Work solo or as a member of a team to help the units of the Guilford District excel. Give back to others as it fits your schedule. Training is available. Contact John Lowry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Serving Lexington, Mocksville, Advance, Davie Co., Southmont, Denton, Welcome, Asheboro, Seagrove, Ramseur, Liberty, Randleman, and Franklinville
Parents and volunteers, come to the Uwharrie District Roundtable. The Roundtable is held the 1st Thursday of each month at Woodfield Scout Preservation. This is a great time to exchange ideas, learn about what is going on in the Uwharrie Dist., attend training and more.
Uwharrie Calendar (Select Uwharrie in the drop-down menu at the top left of the page)
Join their facebook group: Uwharrie District Roundtable